Are you looking for a new car battery? Before looking for a car battery replacement near me or buying a new car battery, let me ask you something. Did you ever try to recondition the old battery? Battery Reconditioning can save you the cost of a new battery completely.
We all know that we should replace the battery in our vehicle every couple of years and it makes sense to do so when the battery indicator light comes on.
Many people are unaware that they can recondition their own car batteries through a process known as battery reconditioning. Today, we will discuss how to recondition batteries and provide you with a DIY guide for doing battery reconditioning yourself. A new car battery costs about $200-$400 on average. And we can save this completely, by just following these simple processes of how to recondition batteries.
Let’s get back to the dead battery dilemma. This article will focus on a 12-volt lead-acid battery. A jump start or recharge is the best solution when one of these batteries goes dead. It’s easy, but not always cheap, to buy a new battery from a big-box retailer or automotive parts shop. What if you could just recharge the battery to its full power instead of having to replace it every now and again?
- 1 What Is Battery Reconditioning?
- 2 Does Battery Reconditioning Really Work?
- 3 How Long Do Reconditioned Batteries Last?
- 4 When Should You Recondition A Battery?
- 5 How To Do Battery Reconditioning At Home?
- 6 List of Essential Instrument And Equipment For Battery Reconditioning
- 7 Step By Step Process of Battery Reconditioning
- 7.1 1. Wear A Suit And Have A Space
- 7.2 2. Make A Cleaning Solution
- 7.3 3. Change The Battery
- 7.4 4. Verify That The Voltage Is Correct
- 7.5 5. Empty Out The Battery Cells
- 7.6 6. Charge The Battery
- 7.7 7. Replace the Battery Cell Solution
- 7.8 8. Charge The Battery Again – Final Step To Battery Reconditioning
- 7.9 The Battery Should Be Tested
- 8 Recommendation
What Is Battery Reconditioning?
Battery reconditioning is the process of bringing back the health of a battery, allowing it to regain both its charging capacity and electrolyte levels. This is important for both regular cars and luxury cars, as low charge or acid stratification can cause many problems.
A process called sulfation is a method of supplying energy to a vehicle. This chemical reaction results in the formation of sulfate crystals. Crystals can lead to longer charging times, lower efficiency, and lower charge capacities.
Refurbishing or reconditioning a battery removes the sulfates that cause slow discharge and recharges the electrolyte to restore its ability to function as new. This is often done by replacing the old, discharged cells with fresh ones.
Does Battery Reconditioning Really Work?
Absolutely. It works like a new battery. If you’re looking for a new car battery, there are certainly some advantages to getting refurbished. For example, it can save you money since there are no additional charges for installation or registration; it also has enough performance to get your work done. Though many owners prefer new batteries because you don’t need to take the old one with you like when getting a recondition.
How Long Do Reconditioned Batteries Last?
The lifespan of the reconditioned car battery is often 1 to 3 years, pretty similar to new batteries. Reconditioned car batteries are less expensive, as they are more affordable and they don’t require all of the repairs, which are necessary for building a brand new one. The sale price for a reconditioned battery is significantly lower than that of a new one.
When Should You Recondition A Battery?
Batteries are one of the most important components in a car. It is essential for any driver to know when and what to do if their battery is running low or dying.
The voltage reading on your car battery indicates the charge level of your battery. If the voltage reading is 12.6V and higher, then your battery is still in good condition and you don’t need to worry. Meanwhile, if it is between 10V to 12.6V, then your battery needs reconditioning.
How To Do Battery Reconditioning At Home?
These instructions only apply to a lead-acid battery. Battery Reconditioning doesn’t have to be done after it is dead. Safety first. If the battery is able to be reconditioned, a quick inspection will tell you if it can be. Look out for cracks, bulges, or broken pieces. It is better to buy a new battery if the battery is in poor physical condition.
Although battery reconditioning doesn’t require an engineering degree or patience, the process of battery reconditioning is not difficult. You’re likely to already have most of the supplies you will need at home.
List of Essential Instrument And Equipment For Battery Reconditioning
- Battery Charger: A battery charger is a device that converts electricity into stored energy for your electrical devices. It works by running an electric current through it.
- Voltmeter: A voltmeter is a device used to measure the voltage difference between two points in an electric circuit. It’s usually connected in parallel as it has a high resistance and doesn’t take much current from the circuit
- Distilled Water: We need a Gallon of distilled water. Distilled water refers to water that has been heated into vapor, and then condensed back to liquid in a separate container. The original container will still contain any impurities that are not boiling below the boiling point. Distilled water is, therefore, a type of purified water.
- Baking Soda: We need only a pound of Baking Soda. Be sure that, it is not Sodium Carbonate. It is actually Sodium Bicarbonate, which is commonly used to prepare cakes and pastries. We will use this for cleaning purposes.
- Epsom Salt: 1 Pound Epsom salt required. Epsom salt can also be known as magnesium sulfate. It is a chemical compound that is made up of magnesium, sulfur, oxygen. Its name comes from Epsom, Surrey, England, which was where it was first discovered.
- Other than above, we need some equipment to perform the task like Screwdriver, Funnel, Two Large Buckets, Steel Scrubber or Battery Terminal Cleaner, Toothbrush, and most importantly a protective dressing to safeguard yourself. Safety Goggles, Chemical Resistant Gloves, and an apron to properly dress up yourself.
After arranging the above equipment and ingredients, we may start the battery reconditioning process.
Step By Step Process of Battery Reconditioning
1. Wear A Suit And Have A Space
This may not sound like rocket science, but battery reconditioning is still a science. It could get messy. You should also ensure that you work in an area with good ventilation.
2. Make A Cleaning Solution
To make a paste, mix 2 to 1 baking soda with water. This mixture can be used to clean out acid spillages and also as a battery cleaner.
3. Change The Battery
Clean the battery terminals with the cleaning paste or a battery cleaning product. Use a toothbrush to remove any buildup. If the solution foams, it is working. For heavily corroded batteries, use steel wool. Wipe and dry the terminals thoroughly.
4. Verify That The Voltage Is Correct
Connect the voltmeter. The red and black cables connect to the positive terminals of a car like jump-starting it. Six cells make up a standard car battery. Each cell produces about 2.1 volts. A healthy battery should read 12.6V. Reconditioning the battery is possible at voltages between 10V and 12.6V. If the voltage drops below 10V, you can replace it.
5. Empty Out The Battery Cells
You didn’t have to take out the battery of your vehicle until now. However, it is a good idea to do so at this point. Keep a bucket with half a pound of baking soda close by. Use the Flathead screwdriver and take off the battery cover. Slowly empty each cell into a bucket. Baking soda can be added as you go, or until all cells have been empty. It will neutralize the acid and allow safe disposal at any facility that accepts hazardous waste, such as a recycling center.
6. Charge The Battery
Use the funnel to pour the cleaning solution into each of the cells. Replace the battery cover and cell caps securely. Give the battery a good shake for about a minute. Now, remove the battery from the seal and place it in an old-acid waste container.
7. Replace the Battery Cell Solution
Mix 4 cups water and 4 ounces Epsom salt together. Mix until the water is clear. Boiling water is a good option, but it’s not necessary. Fill the cells with the electrolyte solution using the funnel. Cover the container and shake again to distribute the salt evenly.
8. Charge The Battery Again – Final Step To Battery Reconditioning
This step should be done slowly and low, just like a good brisket. Place the charger in a secure place. Take off the battery caps once more to prevent electrolyte solutions from heating up during charging. The charger should be placed as far as possible from the battery. Connect it at 12V / 2 Amps. The battery should be charged for 36 hours.
The Battery Should Be Tested
To check the battery’s condition, disconnect the charger. Normal readings should be around 12.42V. If it is lower than that, you can charge it for 12 more hours. Once you are satisfied with your battery’s performance, turn on the vehicle and switch the high beams to “On”. Once the battery is fully charged, you can test it again. Congratulations if the voltmeter reads 9.6V. Congratulations! You have successfully reconditioned your car’s battery.
The age of the battery and its capacity will determine how long it lasts. You should be able to repeat this process several times. This will extend the battery’s life beyond the usual three to five-year lifespan.
If you are not confident about the step-by-step process mentioned above, and the science behind these, you may look into this Treasure Guide of “Ez Battery Reconditioning”. It is a video presentation, to make you clearly understand the procedure.
Crazy Truth About Ez Battery Reconditioning
- Not only the car batteries, anybody can recondition other batteries of our daily usable things, like Mobile, Laptop, etc following Ez’s Battery Reconditioning Process.
- Big Battery Companies will never let you know about Battery Reconditioning at all.
- Following Ez Battery Reconditioning guide, you can start Battery Repairing Business
- Affordable Price for all.
Ez Battery Reconditioning Guide comes with a 100% Money Back Guarantee, Hence, you need not to worry about your failure. You can’t fail, otherwise they would not exist.
To get a clear concept of how does it work, you may watch the video
>>> Follow this Ancient Japanese Technique of 8-Second Recharge Process and work throughout the day with full energy.<<<
The referred links contained in this post may result in a small commission if the reader opts to purchase the product recommended at no additional cost. This can be considered as a support for our research and writings. Also, please remember that we recommend high-quality products only after putting a lot of effort to research.